Re: oh no something is definitly wrong adieu debian.

On Tue, 2013-08-27 at 14:47 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-08-27 at 14:02 +0200, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> > Is there is any distro with binaries from "trunk/master" ( depending on
> > if you prefer svn or git ;) ) up to date? It would be quite strange, but
> > sounds nice.
>
> Arch Linux comes with binaries for the current stable releases from
> upstream. This nearly has no drawback, for servers you perhaps still
> prefer to hold a package and to test updates by a test install first,
> even while everything was tested by the test repository. For let's say a
> professional audio production environment you simply can update to
> current stable releases and if needed (but it usually isn't needed)
> downgrade packages from cache. Arch is a "real" rolling release and
> there perhaps are other stable rolling releases out there.
>
> Regarding to branches from development trees, such as git and svn, Arch
> has got a special binary repository and a build system comparable to
> FreeBSD ports.

PS: Since this is an issue on another mailing list, I've got a nice
example that has to do with development.

The current stable release of Evolution is 3.8.5, not a development
version from git, it's the _stable_ branch from upstream, but even
Debian experimental only provides 3.8.4.

This isn't a drawback per se, but could become a serious issue.

Now you go and compile 3.8.5 for your Debian, than you report a bug and
the developers ask you what version of libfoo you've got installed. The
developers reply, sorry this already is fixed, since the current stable
branch of Evolution depends on the stable branch of libfoo ... and the
dependency hell starts, you replace several libs and break other Debian
packages.

Don't confuse a git pull, with the current stable release from upstream.