Re: oh no something is definitly wrong adieu debian.

Le 27.08.2013 14:47, Ralf Mardorf a écrit :
On Tue, 2013-08-27 at 14:02 +0200, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
Is there is any distro with binaries from "trunk/master" ( depending on if you prefer svn or git ;) ) up to date? It would be quite strange, but
sounds nice.

Arch Linux comes with binaries for the current stable releases from
upstream. This nearly has no drawback, for servers you perhaps still
prefer to hold a package and to test updates by a test install first,
even while everything was tested by the test repository. For let's say a
professional audio production environment you simply can update to
current stable releases and if needed (but it usually isn't needed)
downgrade packages from cache. Arch is a "real" rolling release and
there perhaps are other stable rolling releases out there.

Regarding to branches from development trees, such as git and svn, Arch
has got a special binary repository and a build system comparable to
FreeBSD ports.

FreeBSD is something I should try, someday. I always thought about trying it, but time lacks... maybe I should try it before gentoo, it may be easier to install (especially concerning the kernel build).

Anyway, that FreeBSD port system sounds interesting.

I think that source distros can have such a system, but they are really
hard to install

It depends on the users skills and how much only is available by source,
again, that is what I mean with all distros with a huge userbase have
advantages and drawbacks. I don't say that to please everybody, it isn't
political correctness, it's just an objective fact.

And I completely agree here.
I do not think you can quote any message from me where I said something else, and, in fact, if I thought like that, I would not use Debian, because it would be useless to be able to "build my DE" like I did :) ( i3-wm, lxterminal, xosview, vim, mpd/mpc/ncmpcpp... those tools are not used by most DE users I think. This results in a system almost perfect for my needs, but every other people would lack features they need.)

That's why I smiled while reading discussion and overreactions previously.

I am simply discussing about advantages and drawbacks of Debian for development here, since development is my job and passion, so I want to at least know about various approaches, even if I may do not like them. Curiosity.

Note that many people who are needed, the testers, don't have the skills
the developers have got.

True.