Re: oh no something is definitly wrong adieu debian.

On 8/27/13, Phi Debian <phi.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I use debian and gnome since well the begining...
> I have it on many nodes, but specially on some server, where many guests
> run.
> I was on squeeze sine the begining of squeeze, and decided to try wheezy.

Ubuntu is Debian snapshot, so much of muchness...

In both cases, GUI is choosable.

You install server with Unity/Gnome3 ?

For server, perhaps simpler XFCE4?

Or add custom repo and install Cinnamon or MATE desktops - there was a
big thread on just that here on debian-user in the last month I
think...

There are many lightweight window managers, simple and complex
toolbars - just mix and match for a lightweight server gui yes?

I went to Ubuntu first in 6.04, then 8.04, then never happy to upgrade
from there, so came back to Debian recently (last year), because of
Unity interface I don't like.

So now I use XFCE4. There are some dissatisfactory things these days.
Gnome2 just worked - and I could customize it in just the way I
wanted. But XFCE with some scripts and things here and there, and it's
acceptable. This is primary workstation.

For my various servers, I install _no_ gui. All remote admin.

If I had a physical server with eg VGA console, I would either just go
framebuffer and terminal, or *possibly* xfce. Really, server terminal
should be extremely temporary and brief affair - just enough to get
networking back up when you firetruck up, and get back to your primary
admin workstation. At least, that's how I do things... or would do
things if I had a server with a console :)   I keep my server
networking as simple and/ or static as possible though .. to minimise
physical access requirements to server; common sense.

> All the upgrade went smooth, and all worked like a charm, so thank you
> for all the people who made this possible.
>
> I can cope with the questionable gdm3 and all things around, but doing
> GUI on the rudimentary VGA is not the main purpose of this server, yet
> it worked, so no problem related with HW graphical board FW.
>
> I start a vnc server for my account (vnc4server), and do the setup of
> xstart the various way, the simplest being starting the gnome-session
> in there.
>
> Then right click on top-panel-->property, color setup plain solid, and
> kaboom, your vnc session is no longer available , oh no message
> anybody knows by now, goolge it and it give massive useless solutions.

Since you are talking server, and VNC, then have you disabled 3D,
disabled effects etc? I don't know, I don't run GUI on servers, but if
I did, that would be first thing I would do, if I for some strange
reason ended up with a "modern" desktop on my server :)

> I tried all sort of trick givin on the net, rm user account redo (that
> works I can re start a vnc server and connect) yet still panel setup
> crash, I tried all sort of things with dbus, socket, install tons of
> useless packages.

Did you try different vnc servers? eg tightvncserver? x11vnc?
Did you try different vnc clients? there are a few.

> Well, desesperate and after loosing a full day on it, I tried ubuntu,
> and it cure. It come with its load of problems too, unity and all that
> jazz, but all is workable around in a hour, going back to gnome
> classic is doable.
>
> So I think it is an adieu for debian It is miserable

I agree - it would be _very_ miserable day to have to leave Debian.
When I came back last year, it was like coming home to parents for
Christmas after many years away... too many years away..

> Well may be this is just the end of an era, may be only .com can
> produce valid OS and .org is fading, sad day.

Just a bug from sound of it. Probably fixed in a week. If high
importance/ money value servers, then perhaps you could find a
Debian-support contract company?

> I still have another server to setup, I'll monitor the activity here

You do have test deployment-equivalent server don't you? Or some test
environment for testing your upgrades?

Anyway Phi, good luck
Zenaan