Re: oh no something is definitly wrong adieu debian.

On Tue, 2013-08-27 at 18:07 +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> For server, perhaps simpler XFCE4?

Xfce or LXDE are a good idea.

> Or add custom repo and install Cinnamon or MATE desktops

Have you ever tested Cinnamon and MATE? Nobody should consider that one
of them can be called a quasi continued GNOME2, or that they are usable
for a stable production environment. I'm a Xfce user and installed both
for testing purpose.

> I went to Ubuntu first in 6.04, then 8.04, then never happy to upgrade
> from there, so came back to Debian recently (last year), because of
> Unity interface I don't like.

There are Ubuntu teams such as the Xubuntu team. Xfce users better go
with Xubuntu or Ubuntu Studio.

> So now I use XFCE4. There are some dissatisfactory things these days.
> Gnome2 just worked - and I could customize it in just the way I
> wanted. But XFCE with some scripts and things here and there, and it's
> acceptable. This is primary workstation.

I agree and Xfce4 is much closer to GNOME2 than Cinnamon and Mate are.

> I agree - it would be _very_ miserable day to have to leave Debian.
> When I came back last year, it was like coming home to parents for
> Christmas after many years away... too many years away..

In my experiences versatility is the best thing, IOW don't consider a
distro to be your golden calve, use the distro that fit best to your
needs. Once you're used too different package managements etc. it's easy
to switch the distro whenever needed. I always have different distros
installed. At the moment Arch Linux fit best to my needs and can be most
easiest configured to my needs. If this should change I even don't need
to install another Linux, they're already installed and at least two
different distros are maintained on my machine.

2 Cents,
Ralf