Re: administration of initscripts

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 10:33:47AM +0100, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> I think you miss the point which is those unit files depend on C code

So do classic init scripts:

    $ file /sbin/init
    /sbin/init: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.26, BuildID[sha1]=0x313c383bcfc5369dd98468b31190be2e9b24df74, stripped
    $ dpkg -S /sbin/init
    sysvinit: /sbin/init
    $ apt-cache show sysvinit | grep -i implemented
    Tag: admin::boot, admin::configuring, implemented-in::c,

> that is not as easy to follow or as well documented as tools which
> follow the unix philosophy such as grep

grep works just fine on C code, but it's a rather blunt instrument
and not the smartest way to work on C, that's true. Luckily the Debian
archive is brimming over with tried and tested tools for that purpose
(see e.g. ctags)

> and you also don't seem to have read between the lines about the detail of
> "more complex to debug".

Michael doesn't need to read between any lines, I'm willing to bet he's one of
the most well informed people in this thread RE: systemd. He's actually run
systemd, works on the Debian package and triaged many of the bug reports.

> In any case systemd has had more attention than it deserves so look
> inthis archive or likely any other archive (Gentoos a good one for
> a balanced view) and lwn.net for the arguments and make your own
> decision. Just don't believe the hype and understand that many pages on
> freedesktop.org aren't official or balanced but abused as if they are.

What does 'official' mean?