Re: debian-6.0.7-amd64 how to set resolution and refresh for free NVIDIA X drivers?

Le Mer 10 avril 2013 12:02, Ralf Mardorf a écrit :
> Yes, AFAIK all your claims a correct! I needed the nv driver for a long
> time, because nouveau completely didn't work, today it can be possible (but
> it also still can be impossible) to use 3D and even to use the driver for
> real-time applications, even for cards that completely didn't work in the
> past. It's much better than it was a long time ago.
>
> At the moment I use my ATI, it seems to be less good supported than my
> NVIDIA. I switch the cards from time to time, regarding to unusual
> needs, in my case it's audio real-time.
>
> I still use xorg.conf, but it could be that xrandr does work as good as
> the xorg.conf does work.

The main interest of xrandr in my opinion is, that it is far easier to
play with than what I can easily name the ugly Xorg.conf.
Here are some examples:
_ user can configure his screen himself, no need to sudo or su
_ no need to restart anything, it's dynamic. You can
add/move/remove/resize screens without any problem at your will.
_ far easier to learn for a beginner: it took less than 10 minutes, while
Xorg.conf will require hours of web browsing. And web browsing without a
good resolution is a pain in...
_ if your multiple screens have different resolutions, there is no "ghost
space", so you can not loose your mouse cursor.
_ it have nice GUI interfaces (I do not use them, but I think it is a
power to have some) like lxrandr. So if you want a normal user to use it,
he will not need to learn anything :)

Considering that my 2 computers are some of the cheapest I know about (an
eeepc laptop and a desktop repaired multiple times with 2 different
screens, and one which will blow it's 10th candle this year, with its
1024x768 max resolution :D) this power of the randr extension is really
comfortable.

And nouveau supports all of this out of the box since at least 2 years,
unlike NVidia.

I think you should take a look at this
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix if you want to have a
good viewing of were it is for your GPU.

Just one question: what is the link between audio stuff and graphic card?