Re: debian-6.0.7-amd64 how to set resolution and refresh for free NVIDIA X drivers?

Yes, AFAIK all your claims a correct! I needed the nv driver for a long
time, because nouveau completely didn't work, today it can be possible
(but it also still can be impossible) to use 3D and even to use the
driver for real-time applications, even for cards that completely didn't
work in the past. It's much better than it was a long time ago.

At the moment I use my ATI, it seems to be less good supported than my
NVIDIA. I switch the cards from time to time, regarding to unusual
needs, in my case it's audio real-time.

I still use xorg.conf, but it could be that xrandr does work as good as
the xorg.conf does work.