Re: Tiling window manager based desktop environment (was: Re: MICROSOFT HIRED THESE PEOPLE TO SABOTAGE OPEN SOURCE)

Le 09.04.2013 14:13, Anthony Campbell a écrit :
I like i3 too, but I find that spectrwm has similar features but is
better in some respects. I have a comparison of i3, dwm, xmonad, and
spectrwm on my blog at

http://www.acampbell.org.uk/serendipity/index.php?/archives/609-Four-tiling-window-managers-spectrwm,-i3,-dwm,-xmonad.html.
There is quite a lot of other stuff about these
window managers on my blog, including how to compile the latest version
of spectrwm on Debian (the one in the repository is quite old).

Interesting.
I just would like to notify you of some imprecise expressions which could lead to error: "But I mostly work in stacked mode" you should have speak about stacked layout, since the stacking mode is the one used by most WM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stacking_window_manager). And about the problem you found with it, I wonder why you do not use the tabbed layout? (I thought it was possible to hide title bars, but while reading the doc it appears that I was wrong... But I just discovered that there is an option to hide the status bar, nice!)

I think I will give spectrwm a try one of those days. You described some interesting features which would be really nice to have, and since I have always had some problems to move were I want with tons of terminals on a workspace, if it is easier to move focus and/or windows, I should definitely try it! (i3 often confuse me when I try to resize windows, too)