Re: MICROSOFT HIRED THESE PEOPLE TO SABOTAGE OPEN SOURCE

* On 2013 08 Apr 03:24 -0500, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Please, continue at d-community-offtopic@lists.alioth.debian.org only!

Why?  This list does not have an iron fisted moderator.

Some of the assertions in the picture are true, at least as to the
behavior of software and personalities, and this affects me as a Debian
user and is NOT off-topic, IMO.  So, I'm staying right here.

> Why should Microsoft hire people to make Linux more like Windows?

>From one perspective, guiding all GUIs to be one like the other means
that people have no real reason to switch.  Easier to keep the sheep in
the pen if there is no greener pasture visible.  Also, continual churn
and frustration allows MS to market the "stability" of their platform.

I've been around this community long enough to know that the past five
or six years have seen a remarkable amount of change in the major
desktop projects.  Some of it is good and helpful and others seem little
more than needless disruption coming from *somewhere*.  Considering the
resources MS poured into discrediting ODF and then poisoning the
"standards" process at ISO to fast track their crippled XML document
version shows that they are not above any means necessary to protect
their hegemony.  It has worked as companies have remained with MS
Office.

> I don't do research about this topic myself, it seems t be a conspiracy
> theory and not worth the hassle. This is the chance for you Dirk, to
> undergird your hard claim.

Perhaps a study of the Halloween Documents from 1998 and onward is in
order:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_Documents

I too would like more hard evidence regarding where the disruptive
influences have been coming from.

> Btw. IMO this belongs to
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
> if we should continue without witch-hunting.

IMO discussion belongs right here for reasons I stated above.  Besides,
your insistence to quickly kill this discussion by moving it to an
obscure list echoes some of the attitudes alluded to in the first link
posted by Dirk.

> Including the witch-hunting it belongs to /dev/null.

What witch hunting?  I too am frustrated by the directions some major
projects have taken in recent years and have moved to projects that
haven't yet taken such a track toward a "screw you" attitude.  I want to
know who these people are and their motivations.  While I would
immediately distrust anyone who uses the term "product vision" out loud,
I respect Linus because he clearly knows what belongs in the kernel and
what doesn't and is not afraid to say so without need of buzz words..

> Please, continue at d-community-offtopic@lists.alioth.debian.org only!

No!

- Nate