Re: Tiling window manager based desktop environment (was: Re: MICROSOFT HIRED THESE PEOPLE TO SABOTAGE OPEN SOURCE)

On 09 Apr 2013, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

> Well, I know that i3 is very active (as I said, I really like this
> software, and it is, in my opinion, one of the best I have used in
> all categories: easiness of config, lightweight, features only
> related to its job...), and the community around it explains nicely
> what are their goals:
> having a software which does only it's job, easy to hack (no stupid
> restriction to 2000 lines of code by example... can't remember the
> name of the twm which have such limitation), easy to configure (no
> programming skills needed: config is not a script, and does not
> needs to compile i3 to be modified) without fancy "features" (like
> rounded corners or transparency in decorations).

I like i3 too, but I find that spectrwm has similar features but is
better in some respects. I have a comparison of i3, dwm, xmonad, and
spectrwm on my blog at
http://www.acampbell.org.uk/serendipity/index.php?/archives/609-Four-tiling-window-managers-spectrwm,-i3,-dwm,-xmonad.html. There is quite a lot of other stuff about these
window managers on my blog, including how to compile the latest version
of spectrwm on Debian (the one in the repository is quite old).

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
http://www.acampbell.org.uk