Re: I wish to advocate linux

Le Jeu 28 février 2013 1:04, Mark Filipak a écrit :
> On 2013/2/27 6:31 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
>
>> Mark Filipak wrote:

>>> I'm not a troll, Miles.
>>>
> -snip-
>

>> Which brings us back to the question of: if not trolling, what is your
>> purpose here?
>>
>> Miles Fidelman
>>

> I'm trying to get help, Miles. I've been lurking. This didn't start out
> as my thread. "I wish to advocate linux" is not my aim. I merely made a
> comment about Linux advocacy and got jumped on. Whether you think I
> deserved to get jumped on or not, I got many messages in short order
> attacking me. I guess I did hit a nerve.
>
> You insist on pointing out that mentally challenged people can install
> Debian. That's wonderful (a bit insulting too, don't you think?). I have
> not had that experience. My experience has been: I make (or buy) CDs. I
> boot them. I begin the installation. I'm asked a hundred times whether I
> want to install this program or that program. But I'm not at all prepared
> to choose because I don't know anything about Linux or the programs, so I
> choose to install them all. Then when I try to boot my new Linux
> installation, I get an error message that such-&-such program is missing
> and boot is terminating with a kernel panic or a failure code. This has
> happened many times. When I asked about this in Linux forums, I got
> answers that only a Linux guru would understand.
>
> Let me give you an example of the kind of insensitivity (or myopic
> stupidity) that seems to be the hallmark of the Linux community. In the
> Debian live page, dd is offered as the way to copy the ISO file to a USB
> stick. But the dd program offered only runs in Linux! What good is that
> to someone who is running Windows at the time? It's like Linux is in it's
> own world.
>
> I thought I was at a forum in which people would like to advocate for
> Linux and therefore would do what's needed to assure successful
> conversion from Windows to Linux, but instead I experience the same
> elitism and condescension I'd experienced at other Linux forums.
>
> If you can't see that, then you are part of the problem. I give up. I
> apparently will never run Linux because I'm too stupid.

Stupid, maybe not, but maybe too straight in your searches.
First of all, if you do not have enough computer knowledge, maybe debian
is not for you.
It is reputed as a distribution for advanced user, after all.

Burning a CD is not a problem, and I bet that even my mother would be able
to do it (and, trust me, her knowledge in the computer domain is very
low).
Take a look at that search:
http://www.google.fr/#output=search&q=windows+burning+iso&oq=windows+burning+iso

For USB, IIRC I have found quite quickly linux usb live creator. It is a
windows software, with an interface which could be used by anyone who
knows what is a file, an USB stick and... that's all.
Otherwise, following the documentation
(http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.html.en)
especially this section: "4.3.3. Manually copying files to the USB stick ?
the flexible way " is doable also for a windows user.
In fact, for a non linux user, it is the easier way, since all commands
are portable:
_ partition is already FAT if you use windows, so no need to mkdosfs
_ syslinux is a portable tool
_ notepad exists to create a text file
_ and windows users are able to copy files on an usb stick quite easily
The only knowledge needed here is to be able to use a commandline, and
download syslinux. It is not for people who do not want to search
themselves, because of commandline, but it is not over complicated.

About your booting problem, the only moment I have kernel panics are when
I am trying to use a kernel I compiled myself, and my first attempts to
use Debian are 10 years old...
When I remember that installer (woody) I can really say you: now, Debian
is really easy to install for a windows user. Simply do an automated
installation, and most of stuff will be done for you.
But the only distros I have tried to install myself are Debian, Ubuntu,
backtrack, archlinux and gentoo.