Re: PulseAudio--is there a viable alternative?

On Monday, February 4, 2013, Darac Marjal wrote:
Actually, that depends on the hardware. If your hardware can do hardware
mixing (I know of at least one SoundBlaster that can, but I can't
remember which model at the moment), then you can play simultaneous
streams. But for most cards, you have to rely on software mixing (dmix,
pulse, jack etc).

SB Pro 128 did it, I know that one for sure because knowing how much of a pain things like esound and PA are, it was the card I strongly recommended to everyone regardless of what platform they chose.  Especially since it was only something like $5 more than the less capable hardware available at the time.