Re: PulseAudio--is there a viable alternative?

On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 08:36:34AM -0800, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 8:28 AM, "Morel Bérenger"
> <berenger.morel@neutralite.org> wrote:
> >> Pure ALSA works fine if you only need one sound at a time and don't
> >> need/want stuff like per source volume, and don't mind Flash sometimes
> >> messing up and blocking all access to the sound card.
> >
> > I think you are speaking about OSS here, not about alsa.
> > Alsa is able to play more than one soud/music at a time without problem: I
> > can perfectly play wesnoth with sound+music and have mpd running
> > background. (of course, I usually disable wesnoth's music, but not it's
> > sounds)
>
> Nope, I am talking about ALSA. ALSA can only play more than one source
> at a time with its dmix utility (ALSA itself is fundamentally unable
> to do mixing) , but I have never, ever seen dmix work at all.

Actually, that depends on the hardware. If your hardware can do hardware
mixing (I know of at least one SoundBlaster that can, but I can't
remember which model at the moment), then you can play simultaneous
streams. But for most cards, you have to rely on software mixing (dmix,
pulse, jack etc).