Re: PulseAudio--is there a viable alternative?

On 02/05/2013 01:44 PM, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
Am Dienstag, 5. Februar 2013 schrieb darkestkhan:
Mixing works out of the box here too - some integrated Intel audio
chipset.
AFAIK in recent versions of ALSA / distributions shipping it, by default
dmix is automatically configured and used.

On my ThinkPad T530 mixing works out of the box as well, whether via
software or via hardware…

ALSA has never given me any problems across the several different hardware configurations I've had. Never had problems with sound mixing, and I do agree with you, it does seem dmix seems to be included with the ALSA packages required to use ALSA in the first place.

Conversely, every hardware configuration I've had Pulseaudio has never worked properly.

Conrad