Re: Debian is a translation.

Am Sonntag, 3. Februar 2013 schrieb berenger.morel@neutralite.org:
> Le 03.02.2013 10:05, Nuno Magalhães a écrit :
> > On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 7:40 AM,  <berenger.morel@neutralite.org>
> >
> > wrote:
> >> you will run localepurge.
> >
> > Yup, that plus whichever locales you want usually does the trick,
>
> Only the trick to clean installed files, not to avoid downloading them,
> afaik.
> So, we: download list of russian, greek, french... translations,
> install some package, install it in all languages, and thanks to
> localepurge, remove all of them, except the one(s) in which we are
> interested.

Yes. I think its a question of effort on the packaging side. For KDE and
LibreOffice and Iceweasel you have one package per each language.

But for smaller stuff like coreutils, or smaller single applications it would
mean creating one additional package for each language supported. This could
blow the Debian package out of proportions quite a bit and possibly mean
several ten thousands new packages.

Frankly, I can understand that Debian maintainers do not do the split for
each single little package. Especially as with xz compression which is
introduced to packages these times these translations will likely compress
pretty well.

One could put all the translations for all packages in one package per
language, but then you install translations of packages you didn´t have
installed. So same issue from different angle.

I do think that the current choice is quite good balancing. And would only
be convinced otherwise, if currently needlessly installed translations
exceed a certain treshold of size. Maybe for some further packages with big
translations a split makes sense, but then this I think needs to be decided
on a case by case basis and backed by evidence (thus measuring the
overhead).