Re: PulseAudio--is there a viable alternative?

> Pure ALSA works fine if you only need one sound at a time and don't
> need/want stuff like per source volume, and don't mind Flash sometimes
> messing up and blocking all access to the sound card.

I think you are speaking about OSS here, not about alsa.
Alsa is able to play more than one soud/music at a time without problem: I
can perfectly play wesnoth with sound+music and have mpd running
background. (of course, I usually disable wesnoth's music, but not it's
sounds)

OSS is deprecated, alsa is the current successor.