Re: Installation

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 23:25:34 +0200, lee wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Now seriously, I already mentioned that the OS installation process is
>> not the problem for users to keep linux but the "afterwards", the
>> day-to- day issues. And here is where the user's attitude becomes so
>> important and vital for the matter: well informed users (and users who
>> are interested in learning how their systems work) will look into the
>> proper places to solve their problems while careless users will just
>> say blow it away (i.e., uninstall) when they suffer from any problem.
>>
>> And while this is true for both windows and linux users, the formers
>> still have the advantadge of being around another windows users that
>> solve their problems.
>
> Following your argumentation, which OS someone uses is only a matter of
> which OS other people someone chooses to surround themselves with are
> using when they do not want to learn or to solve problems.

(...)

For the lazy users who are not interested in what their systems are or
run, a big _sure_. If there were nobody solving their issues (and I'm
quite confident that Windows users have *a lot of* problems) they will
look for another solution that "breaks" less... it can be Apple (but
their products are not affordable) or it can be -oh, what was the
name...-, ah, yes, Linux.

> (Is it really $250 for a windoze license?  I have one I couldn't avoid
> getting; maybe I should sell it.  If you want to make an offer, please
> send it directly to me and not to the list.)

Last time I checked (at the time Windows 7 was out) that was the price
for the stand-alone (non-upgrade) retailer box you can find at any shop
but now, with the new upcoming "product" (Windows 8) this could have
changed, of course.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón