Re: Installation

On 09/19/2012 09:34 AM, Camaleón wrote:

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 13:52:14 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:

On 09/18/2012 01:31 PM, Camaleón wrote:

No, we don't. There are no upper no lower limits other than a user
wanting to learn and showing interest in what he/she is doing.

And what about the users who *don't* want to learn, they just want to have
and use a working computer?

As I already mentioned, they should go for something that suit their needs,
like a tablet or something prebuilt that provides the less hassle to their
minds. Linux (as we know) is not for them (or yes, but then it has to be
properly packaged, managed, delivered and supported by Google or any other
company).

That addresses the "installing" problem, but not the "managing" one, unless you
mean that the "properly supported (by the vendor)" part is supposed to take care
of any problems they may have with ongoing use of the system.

I have installed different Windows versions from scratch along my life (I
remember starting from 3.11, 95, 98, 98SE, Windows 2000 Server, Windows
XP and Windows XP 64-bits Pro).

The requirements have not changed that much (can't tell for Vista and 7)

Ah. That could be the source of confusion.

I really doubt it. And I doubt it because some things do not change over the
time which means you still have to know how to partition a hard drive, how to
boot from CD or what a driver is ;-)

You still have to know how to boot from CD, yes, but on some systems the boot
sequence is pre-configured to try that automatically - and even on ones that
aren't, I don't know of any where it's more complicated than "press the
right key during POST".

For the others - no, IIRC the Windows Vista-and-later install process does *not*
require you to know how to partition a hard drive, or what a driver is. Again,
though, I'd prefer to leave that discussion till after I've had a chance to run
through the install process and document it for my own reference. (We got kicked
out early yesterday due to inclement weather, so I didn't get the chance to do
it then.)

I know that when I first had to install Vista, I was pleasantly surprised
by how much faster and more straightforward it was, compared to the
familiar XP install; the 7 install process is similar IIRC, and from my one
attempt at installing it, I think 8 is even simpler.

Are you sure that you installed Vista and 7 completely _from scratch_? Because Windows OEM installations are always -regardless the version- quick
and take little time but we are not talking here about this, you know...

I'm not sure how you define "from scratch". It was from an install DVD, not a
"configure the as-shipped installation" first boot, at the very least... but the
install DVD was manufacturer-provided, so I can't swear that they didn't
customize it, though I don't think I remember there being supported ways to do
that.

--
      The Wanderer

side of it.

Every time you let somebody set a limit they start moving it.
  - LiveJournal user antonia_tiger