Re: Installation

On 09/18/2012 11:41 AM, Camaleón wrote:

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 10:03:13 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:

On 09/17/2012 12:01 PM, Camaleón wrote:

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 11:21:06 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:

I'm probably going to regret this...

<sarcasm>

And I wonder why >:-)

</sarcasm>

Or in other words: because the people who respond may not be reasonable,
and I'm no longer as thick-skinned in an argument as I used to be.

It was a rhetorical question expressed with a bit of <properly tagged>
sarcasm. I guess we all can imagine why you said so, no explanation needed.

Yes, I understood that (though the exact direction of the sarcasm wasn't
entirely clear). I decided to answer it straightforwardly anyway, which in
hindsight may not have been as good a choice as I thought it was.

If you can solve a simple problem like that I wonder what would you do
when your computer can't start at all...

For many people, the answer is "panic".

I can confirm the panic in that scenario, even for not so newbie users, like
me.

Does that mean they shouldn't get to have one in the first place?

No, it means that panic can be treated with reading. Reading (and the ensuing
understanding on how this stuff works) is a "must" for every computer user.
There are no work-arounds, bypasses or magic hints to avoid this step.

True, although there *is* a potential limit on just how *much* "understanding on
how this stuff works" is, or should be, necessary.

To look at things from a possibly different perspective: what are the minimum
advance-reading and resulting-understanding requirements, for install and
(separately) for basic system usage, for e.g. Windows? Do we want to try to at
least meet that same minimum threshold, or is being harder-to-use than Windows
an acceptable thing?

By telling the users that "installing an OS is easy and can be done in few
clicks" you're not only deliberately omiting the truth but also giving them a
poisoned present: the snake will bite you afterwards and you don't have -and
what is worst, you don't even know where/how to get- the antidote because
_you have been told_ that there were no snakes in the box...

Fair enough. I'm not sure whether I would necessarily agree with further
conclusions from this point, but I believe I do agree with this point as stated.

--
      The Wanderer

side of it.

Every time you let somebody set a limit they start moving it.
  - LiveJournal user antonia_tiger