Re: how many users is enough?

On Fri, 2012-11-30 at 16:16 +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On 11/30/12, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com> wrote:
> > I would describe the relationship between Ubuntu and Debian like this:
> >
> > Without Debian there would be no successful Ubuntu, but without Ubuntu
> > there still would be a successful Debian.
>
> This is true, Debian being what it is, a community based, largely
> volunteer effort, it shall continue regardless of the profit or not of
> any particular company.
>
> I sure hope to see the day that Ubuntu announces a true profit though,
> the more companies that survive, which companies also make some
> contributions to the libre software ecosystem, the better.

I started with Suse 9.0, when Suse wasn't Novell. Novell, Red Hat and
Mark Shuttleworth killed Linux, time to look out for other *NIX or to
follow them. The variety of Linux already is dead.

Take a look at the thread "Notifications changed in LXDE under wheezy"
for Xfce an issue too.

FUD? Again, people might chose applications that don't have insane
dependencies, MUAs without a GUI etc., but we don't have the freedom to
use what app we want, as it was possible in the past.

Regards,
Ralf