how many users is enough? (was Re: Debian Installer 7.0 Beta4 release)

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 12:39:54AM +0000, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> > Let's welcome more (I assume we do want more users on our base, don't
> > we?
>
> There needs to be a "critical mass"; but beyond that point, an
> increase in numbers is not necessarily beneficial.

Agreed for 'mere' users, but another factor is how many users become
useful contributors. A "conversion rate", if you will. And you can
compensate for a poor conversion rate, to a certain extent, by having
more users. I think we have a poor conversion rate in Debian, and not
enough contributors.