Re: How to prevent daemons from starting at boot after update?

On 28/11/12 01:06, Michael Biebl wrote:
> On 27.11.2012 23:59, Adrian Fita wrote:
>> On 28/11/12 00:52, Michael Biebl wrote:
>>> what does `runlevel` say?
>>
>> root@zero:~# runlevel
>> N 2
>
> Interesting. As already shown, I can't reproduce your problem.
>
> Not sure if this is because you ship a policy-rc.d script.
> It might help, moving that file away.

It seems it has something to do with policy-rc.d. After I removed any
trace of policy-rc.d and uninstalled the policyrcd-script-zg2 package,
invoke-rc.d started behaving like you said: if the service is disabled,
it wouldn't start it.

As soon as I reinstalled policyrcd-script-zg2, invoke-rc.d is starting
the services again.

So, is this expected behaviour, or is it a bug that I should report?

root@zero:~# aptitude purge policyrcd-script-zg2
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  policyrcd-script-zg2{p}
[...]
Removing policyrcd-script-zg2 ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...

root@zero:~# invoke-rc.d cups start

root@zero:~# aptitude install policyrcd-script-zg2
  policyrcd-script-zg2
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
[...]
Setting up policyrcd-script-zg2 (0.1-2) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/sbin/zg-policy-rc.d to provide
/usr/sbin/policy-rc.d (policy-rc.d) in auto mode

root@zero:~# invoke-rc.d cups start
[ ok ] Starting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd.

--
Adrian Fita