Re: How to prevent daemons from starting at boot after update?

On 27/11/12 23:19, Michael Biebl wrote:
> On 27.11.2012 20:52, Adrian Fita wrote:
>
>> I just did a cups package update (yes, I'm running Debian unstable) and
>> noticed that the cups daemon was started after the upgrade. And indeed,
>> looking in /var/lib/dpkg/info/cups.postinst, the daemon is started with
>> "invoke-rc.d cups start" after every installation. This means that even
>> tho' I have disabled cups from starting at boot with "update-rc.d cups
>> disable", it will get started after an update/package reinstallation,
>
> Not correct. A sysv init script which has been disabled via
> "update-rc.d <service> disable" won't be started by
> "invoke-rc.d <service> start"
>
> Not saying that there might actually be a bug in cups' postinst script,
> but invoke-rc.d itself respects the enable/disable state.

Hmm. Interesting.
- line 192 in /var/lib/dpkg/info/cups.postinst contains "invoke-rc.d
cups start || exit $?", so no special parameter is passed to invoke-rc.d
- running "invoke-rc.d cups start" manually, as root, from console,
starts cups
- my current runlevel is 2, I made sure that cups is indeed disabled:
/etc/rc2.d/K02cups
- looking directly in the file /usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d, I see that there
is some mention of runlevels, but I couldn't figure out what invoke-rc.d
does with them...

So, what am I doing wrong?
--
Adrian Fita