Re: Thunderbird not working with Dovecot

John L. Cunningham grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 07:44:29PM -0800, David Guntner wrote:
>> Well, at least not completely.  I've got Dovecot up and running, but for
>> some reason, Thunderbird won't work with it quite right.  I'll select an
>> unread message, and the header will change in the display, but the body
>> doesn't appear - the status bar just says "Downloading message..." and
>> it sits there until I select another message and then go back to the one
>> I wanted to read, at which point it displays the message.
>
> Are there a large number of messages in the folder containing the email
> you're trying to read? A new T-bird install can get bogged down because
> it's furiously downloading the message bodies in the background. After
> it finishes, it acts as you would expect.

Nope, that ain't it.  Not a new TB install.  A new Dovecot install.
Same old TB I've been using to access that mailbox for years, and all
the old messages are cached - and on this current situation, there's
never been more than 20-30 new messages to go get at any give time I
start it up.  Mine also only grabs the headers until such time as I
click on a message, and *then* it downloads the body.  And for a 5k-10k
message, there's no reason for it to hang.

>> Watching the syslog, I can see what's happening when I move to another
>> message is that a *new* login connection is being established (without
>> closing the old one) with the IMAP server.  After I've moved around
>> enough times, the server logs a note saying that I've exceeded the
>> number of open connections that I can have and it just stops talking to
>> me any further until I close Thunderbird (at which point the log shows
>> all the connections being closed.
>
> As others have suggested, try reducing the maximum number of open
> connections that T-bird can cache. I set it to 3, and I've stopped
> getting that error.

"Maximum number of connections to cache" in Advanced settings for the
server is currently set to 1.  If there's another setting you're talking
about, please point me at it. :-)

And at the risk of sounding like a broken record, prior to Dovecot going
in, this thing was able to handle all my mail needs with no such
slowness on without opening new connection after new connection when I
click on another message because the one I'm on won't get past the
"downloading message..." status even though it's only 5k and going right
back to it after clicking another message gets the full display of that
message. :-)

                --Dave