Re: Thunderbird not working with Dovecot

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 07:44:29PM -0800, David Guntner wrote:
> Well, at least not completely.  I've got Dovecot up and running, but for
> some reason, Thunderbird won't work with it quite right.  I'll select an
> unread message, and the header will change in the display, but the body
> doesn't appear - the status bar just says "Downloading message..." and
> it sits there until I select another message and then go back to the one
> I wanted to read, at which point it displays the message.

Are there a large number of messages in the folder containing the email
you're trying to read? A new T-bird install can get bogged down because
it's furiously downloading the message bodies in the background. After
it finishes, it acts as you would expect.

> Watching the syslog, I can see what's happening when I move to another
> message is that a *new* login connection is being established (without
> closing the old one) with the IMAP server.  After I've moved around
> enough times, the server logs a note saying that I've exceeded the
> number of open connections that I can have and it just stops talking to
> me any further until I close Thunderbird (at which point the log shows
> all the connections being closed.

As others have suggested, try reducing the maximum number of open
connections that T-bird can cache. I set it to 3, and I've stopped
getting that error.

--
John