Re: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

On Monday 15 October 2012 20:25:54 Wally Lepore wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Ralf Mardorf
>
> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> > Don't run a X session as root, this is a security risk.
> >
> > Yes, using a terminal emulation is correct, but
> >
> >> 1 | su root
> >> 2 | gedit
> >
> > isn't ok.
> >
> > You can, but you don't need to add "root", but if you'll launch GUI
> > stuff like Gedit, you often must use "su -".
> >
> > So correct is
> >
> > su -
> > gedit
> >
> > usually in mails written like this
> >
> > $ su -
> > # gedit
> >
> > alternatively you can run one command
> >
> > su -c gedit
> >
> >> I went to Applications --> Accessories --> Terminal (I assume this is
> >> how to open a terminal)
> >
> > For example, you also could push the shortcut
> >
> > Ctrl + F2 (IOW hit the Ctrl-key and the F2-key simultaneously)
> >
> > to launch an app or add a launcher to a panel or the desktop.
>
> Ok Ralf, I will try your suggestions. As soon as I figure how to
> configure my system to log-in as root?

Wally, the email to which you are replying tells you what to do.  I'll repeat,
but this is also the second time that I have told you, and several other
people have told you as well.  Just read the email above.  It tells you.  But
my preferred method is, FROM A GUI INTO WHICH YOU HAVE LOGGED AS YOUR NORMAL
USER, do:
alt+F2  (i.e. hold down alt, and while doing so press F2, then immediately let
both go.)
then type
gksu gedit
then enter the password when asked.

BUT PLEASE WALLY, stop going on about logging in as root.  If you are
determined to log in as root in a default Debian, you will have to choose
single user mode in GRUB and log in from there.  That will land you at the
command line.  Log in as root.  You will still be at the command line.

From what people are saying you can expect to have gedit, and to be able to
launch it from there.

But if you want to run as root from/in a GUI, you have to use either the
launcher or the command line as has been frequently suggested.  Until you
agree to do that, and you do know how to get a terminal, and you have been
told how to use it, but until you agree to do that, and stop fussing about
logging in as root, you will get no-where and we cannot help you.

My husband says, why do I spend my time telling you again.  My answer was that
I get a lot of help myself.  But his inferred suggestion is, I'm afraid,
right.  I can't keep telling you the same thing over again.

Good luck!
Lisi