Re: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday 15 October 2012 20:25:54 Wally Lepore wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Ralf Mardorf
>>
>> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>> > Don't run a X session as root, this is a security risk.
>> >
>> > Yes, using a terminal emulation is correct, but

>> > isn't ok.
>> >
>> > You can, but you don't need to add "root", but if you'll launch GUI
>> > stuff like Gedit, you often must use "su -".
>> >
>> > So correct is
>> >
>> > su -
>> > gedit
>> >
>> > usually in mails written like this
>> >
>> > $ su -
>> > # gedit
>> >
>> > alternatively you can run one command
>> >
>> > su -c gedit

>> > For example, you also could push the shortcut
>> >
>> > Ctrl + F2 (IOW hit the Ctrl-key and the F2-key simultaneously)
>> >
>> > to launch an app or add a launcher to a panel or the desktop.
>>
>> Ok Ralf, I will try your suggestions. As soon as I figure how to
>> configure my system to log-in as root?
>
> Wally, the email to which you are replying tells you what to do.  I'll repeat,
> but this is also the second time that I have told you, and several other
> people have told you as well.  Just read the email above.  It tells you.  But
> my preferred method is, FROM A GUI INTO WHICH YOU HAVE LOGGED AS YOUR NORMAL
> USER, do:
> alt+F2  (i.e. hold down alt, and while doing so press F2, then immediately let
> both go.)
> then type
> gksu gedit
> then enter the password when asked.
>
> BUT PLEASE WALLY, stop going on about logging in as root.  If you are
> determined to log in as root in a default Debian, you will have to choose
> single user mode in GRUB and log in from there.  That will land you at the
> command line.  Log in as root.  You will still be at the command line.
>
> From what people are saying you can expect to have gedit, and to be able to
> launch it from there.
>
> But if you want to run as root from/in a GUI, you have to use either the
> launcher or the command line as has been frequently suggested.  Until you
> agree to do that, and you do know how to get a terminal, and you have been
> told how to use it, but until you agree to do that, and stop fussing about
> logging in as root, you will get no-where and we cannot help you.
>
> My husband says, why do I spend my time telling you again.  My answer was that
> I get a lot of help myself.  But his inferred suggestion is, I'm afraid,
> right.  I can't keep telling you the same thing over again.

I didn't understand the abbreviated instructions. I apologize. Most
times the very helpful suggestions assume I'm fluent in the terminal.

Heck, I feel I've mastered windows to a respectable degree but getting
dropped in the seat of Linux is like a crash course in flying the
space shuttle! Whole different ball game.

I really needed a walk-thru like your instructions above. Now I
understand better and will spend time applying your instructions.

For example, when I read helpful suggestions such as:

Type this

1 | su root
2 | gedit

I don't understand. What is the 1 and the 2 for? Do I have to type
that in as well? And I still haven't discovered if I have to clear out
the cryptic message that appears in terminal when I open it before
typing anything. please.

Trust me, I dig and dig before asking newbie questions -believe me-.
'Google is your friend' and I use it wisely before asking questions
but sometimes the most obvious answer to some of the most basic
questions can be frustrating to find. Or perhaps I just don't know
where to look.

Also I was just trying to respond to everyone's reply. I try and 'not
let' any posts go unanswered.

I'll try your suggestion. It was a long day.

I think I need a break.

Thank you for helping Lisi