Re: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

On Mon 15 Oct 2012 at 17:17:42 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > No, Wally.  Not "if all else fails".  As I understand it, you actually need
> > this package to do what you want to do.  So grit your teeth and do it.  As I
> > said, I am no expert on GRUB 2, but nor are you.  We just have to take the
> > advice of those who know.  Incidentally, Legacy GRUB and GRUB 1 are the same
> > thing.
>
> Ok no problem. I'll install the package. I just wanted to be sure if
> that -in fact- was the ground-level-start for the fix.

I'd say it is a certainty you already have os-prober on the system
because the install pulls it in together with the grub-common package.
The command is in /usr/bin. Check. You have discovered the terminal with
its flashing cursor so type

   ls -l /usr/bin/os-prober

If you get no output, my first statement is incorrect.

Want to know what happens when os-prober is run? It is in your PATH.
Type

   os-prober

and press enter. If it doesn't pick up your Windows installation it
probably isn't worth doing 'update-grub' because this command uses the
output of os-prober.