Re: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

On 14/10/12 10:36, Brian wrote:
On Sat 13 Oct 2012 at 18:49:14 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:

Debian Squeeze installed successfully !

The dual-boot did not work but I can boot into either Win2k or Debian
simply by changing the boot order in the BIOS (hdd-0  or  hdd-1). When
I set Debian (hdd-1) as 1st boot device I do receive a menu that asks
which OS I would like to boot but Win2k (hdd-0) is not offered as a
choice. Its missing.

It's not unknown for the installer to not record an OS in the GRUB menu
even when it detects its presence. The guide does remark that this
process is still something of a "black art".

The only choices presented are Debian Squeeze and Debian Recovery. I
guess the fact that I did not put GRUB on the win2k drive (hdd-0) is
probably why win2k is not offered as an optional OS to boot. However,
based on the suggestions from the helpful replies I have received and
reading the online tutorials, everyone has suggested the same thing,
"Don't put Grub on the windows drive". That is good enough advice for
me! Who knows what could have happened!

Probably nothing disastrous. The Windows boot loader would have been
wiped out, of course, but if there had been no Windows entry in the
GRUB menu, it is recoverable. As we shall see.

I can still boot either OS (win2k or Debian) simply by changing the
boot order in BIOS. Not a big deal. Sure beats swapping drives in and
out of the computer. :)

Login as root and run the command

    update-grub

Watch the screen for a mention of "Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional".
Check for a Windows entry in /boot/grub/grub.cfg with

    less /boot/grub/grub.cfg

If it there it should be offered as an option when you reboot.

You might need to install the os-prober package first. Grub2 uses that to identify other OSes on your system.

--
Dom