Re: Another OT: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> Wally, are you familiar with MS DOS or DR DOS commands?

Hi Ralf,

Yes but only the most basic. As I started on this whole linux
adventure I dusted off my DOS 6.0 / 6.2 books that have been sitting
on my book shelf since the mid 1990's. I had to re-learn some commands
because about a month ago I wanted to first learn how to verify the
Debain netinst file using MD5SUM and SHA-1 in console mode.

I could down load programs all day long to have file verification done
automatically for me in windows but I wanted to learn it in console
mode since most Linux work accomplished in console, terminal, command
prompt or whatever else it may be called.

It was a struggle initially but I learned. It was my first real
progress with certain things that needed to be done with Linux. I had
no idea that files needed to be verified before burning to CD. Then
again, I never downloaded a 700 MB file. I eventually learned about
the whole process. Thus my Debian netinst file was verified.

Ubuntu was my first attempt at installing Linux. It never loaded. Long
story. The liveCD worked fine on my system but someone eventually
suggested I try a different distro. I had no idea what "distro" even
referred to at the time. Had to learn it all. I was floored when I
visited wikipedia's page titled "Linux Distribution". There is a chart
on that page that shows all the distos that fork off the three main
dsitributions (Debian, Fedora and Slackware). There were many
distributions to choose from. Just amazing!

I soon discovered (after intense study) that objective was best served
with Debian. The support and available tools and packages are amazing.
Also I prefer to learn Linux from a developer/programmers perspective
thus my objective is somewhat different than most.

To answer your question, yes, I am familiar with some DOS commands and
have access to many books on the subject.

Thanks Ralf