Re: GRUB location on Dual-Boot with TWO hard drives

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 15 October 2012 20:11:06 Wally Lepore wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 5:57 AM, Dom <toyer@rpdom.net> wrote:
>> > You might need to install the os-prober package first. Grub2 uses that to
>> > identify other OSes on your system.
>>
>> I haven't installed any pkgs. yet. But will consider that if all else
>> fails.
>
> No, Wally.  Not "if all else fails".  As I understand it, you actually need
> this package to do what you want to do.  So grit your teeth and do it.  As I
> said, I am no expert on GRUB 2, but nor are you.  We just have to take the
> advice of those who know.  Incidentally, Legacy GRUB and GRUB 1 are the same
> thing.

Ok no problem. I'll install the package. I just wanted to be sure if
that -in fact- was the ground-level-start for the fix.

> I know that Lee thinks that I ought to be ashamed of myself for saying it, but
> I really do think that you need to grip the bull by the horns, and just do
> it.  At the worst, you have to reinstall.  Most of us had to do several
> reinstalls during the learning process.  (And are still learning, and still
> make mistakes, and still sometimes have to reinstall as being the easiest way
> out of the mess.)

Hi Lisi,

I totally understand. Not a big deal. No need to explain. I understood
your helpful intentions from the beginning. I read everyone's
suggestions and learn what I can. You offered excellent advice as well
as Lee. Its all subjective....everyone has a different opinion on how
to arrive at the same destination.

I've installed win2k numerous times. I knew -all along- that in order
to fix an issue, its -at times- quicker just to reinstall. Been there
done it! I can do a windows re-install standing upside down. It's easy
only because I've accomplished it multiple times. Installing Debian's
base OS via the netinst file is a snap now that I've done it as well.
I can re-install if I have to without any issues.

I can create LVM partitions again if I have to. Sure I had to study it
for two days before I had the courage but with the help of an online
tutorial and other links it was successful. Not a "snap" but
successful. I could do it again if need be. :-)

> So - courage!  What have oyu got to lose?

Nothing!

I don't think I need to re-install at this point though. My problem is
not that drastic. Like i said earlier, i can still boot either OS via
setting the preferred drive to boot in BIOS. Yes its an extra step
before loading any particular OS but until I discover how to dual boot
using GRUB, its enter BIOS first before boot. If I have to re-install
to fix the GRUB issue (if its a GRUB issue) then perhaps later. :-)

Thanks Lisi