Re: Debian Small CD install "netinst.iso"

>On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>>On Sun 07 Oct 2012 at 14:05:24 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:
>>
>>             and run that from the USB stick?

> You do not run it, you unzip it. The contents of the zip file then get
> unpacked.

Yes I understand how to extract files. Sorry, I meant to say:
After downloading the zip file, do I unpack it to a folder on the USB drive?

I just extracted all the files from the firmware zip file 'as a test'
to see the contents and noticed all the files are .deb files. Ok I
understand now. I thought the firmware zip file contained an iso image
or something that needed to be burned to the USB drive. Sorry for the
confusion.

>> and that alone will tell me if any firmware is needed for my
>> system prior to running the netinst CD I created?
>>

> No. The unpacked files are used by the installer (your netinst,iso) if
> they are required. It will tell you if you need to provide firmware.

Ok, therefore both the netinst cd installer and the USB stick have to
be in the computer at boot up? or if the installer asks for the
firmware I simply plug in the USB drive that contains the firmware
files?

> You have the netinst.iso on a CD, I think.

Yes I have it already it burned to a CD.

>Have you actually booted from it?

No, not yet.

>If you haven't, do it immediately after reading this mail. Remove
> the drive you have Windows on if you must. Read the installer Guide, stop
> agonising and get stuck in. You may make mistakes, but so what. It's
> only an operating system you are installing, not a procedure to replace a
> defective heart. You can always start all over again.

Ok got it! But just to clarify. The reason I was holding back is
because it was suggested that I run the LiveCD first and see if Debian
has any issues with my hardware etc.

So what you are recommending is forget the LiveCD and just boot up the
installer and begin the install process to my hard drive?

Thanks Brian.