Re: Exim4 behaviour when long term failure of outgoing address

Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk> wrote:
> I am using Debian Squeeze on a virtual machine that I lease.  It has
> exim4 (light) version as its mail server.  - its name is
> avalon.hartley-consultants.com

> However, it looks to me like its trying to send a failure e-mail to me
> locally somehow.

> 2012-10-05 07:42:09 1TK1bf-0000Mx-0C <=
> root@avalon.hartley-consultants.com U=root P=local S=389
> 2012-10-05 07:42:09 1TK1bf-0000Mx-0C ** info@mynewdomain.com R=dnslookup
> T=remote_smtp: retry time not reached for any host after a long failure
> period
> 2012-10-05 07:42:09 1TK1bt-0000N0-DT remote host address is the local
> host: avalon.hartley-consultants.com

It's difficult to tell without knowing the precise setup on the
machine, but this looks like you've aliased root to the offsite address
info@mynewdomain.com, but then you've got an entry somewhere that tells
avalon that it *is* mynewdomain.com.

This could be an entry in /etc/hosts, an MX or A record in DNS, or some
fancy aliasing somewhere associated with exim itself.

Avalon accordingly tries to deliver to info, locally, and finds that
this does not exist. Because it's already trying to deliver a bounce
message it simply discards the bouncing bounce and aborts.

Unfortunately, without knowing what mynewdomain.com really is, I can't
run any non-local diagnostics for you. Unless mynewdomain.com really is
yours, in which case you've got a configuration problem there because
it's not accepting mail.

Chris