Re: Debian Small CD install "netinst.iso"

On Sun 07 Oct 2012 at 14:05:24 -0400, Wally Lepore wrote:

> Chapter 6 discusses using the Debian Installer. I am not utilizing the
> installer. I downloaded the netinst.iso file. Is there a difference?

No difference. They are the same thing.

> I'm not understanding please. Do I download the .zip file you
> suggested

Yes.

            and run that from the USB stick

You do not run it, you unzip it. The contents of the zip file then get
unpacked.

                                            and that alone will tell me
> if any firmware is needed for my system prior to running the netinst
> CD I created?

No. The unpacked files are used by the installer (your netinst,iso) if
they are required. It will tell you if you need to provide firmware.

You have the netinst.iso on a CD, I think. Have you actually booted from
it? If you haven't, do it immediately after reading this mail. Remove
the drive you have Windows on if you must. Read the installer Guide, stop
agonising and get stuck in. You may make mistakes, but so what. It's
only an operating system you are installing, not a procedure to replace a
defective heart. You can always start all over again.