Re: Why is Nautilus using 38% CPU?

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 12:55:06 -0500, Mark Allums wrote:

> On 9/2/2012 12:39 PM, Mark Allums wrote:
>> On 9/2/2012 12:23 PM, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> I rarely enter into the fallback mode in my wheezy system, let's see
>>> how CPU resources is taking nautilus... (relogin) He, this is funny: I
>>> get a 0% of CPU usage but nautilus is using 20 MiB of my ram ("res"
>>> value). In fact, it's listed as the top memory hungry process here.
>>>
>> Based on the various Google results, I am thinking that Nautilus has a
>> serious set of bugs.  It uses 1G of memory, which is horrendous, but
>> another 22G become unavailable, form memleaks or something.  Also, much
>> low level disk activity but no swapping.  Weird.  I think it is running
>> because desktop icons are enabled, I think that uses Nautilus to
>> implement.

Well, AFAICT "gnome-classic" uses nautilus similary how GNOME 2 did so
it's an important piece for the desktop. This is quite different in
"gnome-shell", you can even disable nautilus so it's not started on every
boot and just launch it when you need to browse your files/folders.

>> I am going to temporarily retreat to another window manager and desktop
>> for a while, and see if this bug gets fixed.  Do a lot of Googling and
>> follow the progress of this issue from a distance.  Life's too short...

I share your diagnostic, doctor :-)

>> Thanks for your suggestions.  Very helpful.

Your're welcome.

> sorry, I posted a message without any content by accident.

(no prob)

> I noticed that tracker is doing a lot as well.  Is it advisable to
> disable it?

I "removed" tracker in my system because I don't need a desktop search in
the laptop. It can be disabled or tweaked to be less resource-intensive,
though.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón