Re: (Almost done!) Re: Shutting down error

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 19:45:37 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Thu 19 Jul 2012 at 18:01:54 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 18:19:10 +0100, Brian wrote:
>>
>> You mean that a single (unknown) process avoids the rest from stopping?
>
> No.
>
>> That would be even worst... Or maybe is that the printed FAILED message
>> is misleading? :-?
>
> Not this, either.

To my eyes the printed message is, to say at least, confusing.

> I did advise having a look at /etc/init.d/sendsigs.

And I did but it was not clear to me what was the process that couldn't
be killed. I would have expected that only the failed process to be
printed, or at least, marked/tagged in some way as such.

>    # Make it possible to see who the misbehaving processes are
>    report_unkillable() {
>            if [ -x /usr/bin/pstree ] ; then
>                    echo "Currently running processes (pstree):" pstree

(...)

Indeed, "currently running processes" were printed but which of them was
exactly failing? The first listed before the pstree command?

> What you are being shown is a list of processes which are still being
> run. It does not imply sendsigs was unable to kill all of them. If you
> look at the screen output you will see rsyslog is dealt with later on.

I hope you're not suggesting that people has to go here and look for the
meaning of what is printed in the screen ;-). I mean, IMO the message
should be clear enough to let the user knowing what's happening.

>> There are two instances of "gnome-pty-helper" up and running (dunno if
>> that's normal), okay, let's kill them (kill -9), one died (dissapeared,
>> the other is marked as zombie, fine.
>
> Two instances is not a normal or acceptable situation.

Ah, okay, then unless I can find what is starting a second instance of
this process I'll open a bug report. Thanks for confirming!

>> (relogin...)
>>
>> Now there's only _one_ instance of "gnome-pty-helper" running.
>
> So there is something starting it.

(...)

Well, I have found a cron task that runs this thingy every 10 minutes
(?), I wonder if that's the expected but for sure it was not me who put
that task in place :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón