Re: (Debugging help) Re: Shutting down error

On Thu 19 Jul 2012 at 14:55:56 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 10:26:21 +0100, Brian wrote:
>
> > I think neither rsyslogd nor rpcbind is the problem here.
>
> Well, they seem to fail to be stopped when I shutdown or restart the
> system :-?

They are casualties, not causes. rsyslogd runs later in the sequence so
gets shut down after sendsigs finishes. You also still get the message
at shutdown when both are not running beforehand.

> > gnome-helper-pty comes in the libvte9 package and has a number of
> > reverse depends; synaptic and gnome-terminal are among them. You could
> > close down any such programs and check with ps whether gnome-helper-pty
> > is still running before shutting down. Or log out and check.
>
> I have tried, for instance, to manually stop "gnome-pty-helper" service
> but is restarted/spawned again.

Ah! Start gnome-terminal here, kill gnome-helper-pty with -9 and there
is no restarting of it - just a defunct process, a zombie. Is there
still a gnome-pty-helper process running when you log out of the DE? Do
you still get the problem message from sendsigs when you shutdown from
a terminal after logging out?