Re: (Debugging help) Re: Shutting down error

On Wed 18 Jul 2012 at 14:25:49 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 16:03:58 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
> > I'm running an updated wheezy and since weeks ago, when shutting down
> > (or restarting) the system I can see this message:
> >
> > [FAIL] Killing all remaining processes... failed.
>
> (...)
>
> > Anyone seeing this message? If not, how could I debug what is generating
> > this?
>
> Any idea on how could I debug this?
>
> I'm considering in opening a bug report because messages are still there
> for rsyslogd and gnome-helper-pty (I have disabled "rpcbind" service
> because I'm not using NFS).

So the output on shutting down is now similar to the original but without
the rpcbind line?

I think neither rsyslogd nor rpcbind is the problem here. gnome-helper-pty
comes in the libvte9 package and has a number of reverse depends; synaptic
and gnome-terminal are among them. You could close down any such programs
and check with ps whether gnome-helper-pty is still running before shutting
down. Or log out and check.

On shutdown, /etc/init.d/sendsigs sends killall5 -15 to processes. If a
process does not respond it follows up with a SIGKILL. The question is
why gnome-helper-pty is not responding to a SIGTERM. My problem (which I
think I've now solved) was because a process which I had started at boot
time had not completed, so it refused to go away when asked to politely.