Re: (Almost done!) Re: Shutting down error

On Thu 19 Jul 2012 at 18:01:54 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 18:19:10 +0100, Brian wrote:
>
> You mean that a single (unknown) process avoids the rest from stopping?

No.

> That would be even worst... Or maybe is that the printed FAILED message
> is misleading? :-?

Not this, either.

I did advise having a look at /etc/init.d/sendsigs.

   # Make it possible to see who the misbehaving processes are
   report_unkillable() {
           if [ -x /usr/bin/pstree ] ; then
                   echo "Currently running processes (pstree):"
                   pstree
           elif [ -x /bin/ps ] ; then
                   echo "Currently running processes (ps):"
                   ps -ef
           fi
   }

What you are being shown is a list of processes which are still being
run. It does not imply sendsigs was unable to kill all of them. If you
look at the screen output you will see rsyslog is dealt with later on.

> But then, what is that FAILED message indicating exactly? What is (are)
> the service(s) failing? If it's only the first of the list (in this case,
> "exe → gnome-pty-helper"), why are the others being  printed?

Please see above.

> There are two instances of "gnome-pty-helper" up and running (dunno if
> that's normal), okay, let's kill them (kill -9), one died (dissapeared,
> the other is marked as zombie, fine.

Two instances is not a normal or acceptable situation.

> (relogin...)
>
> Now there's only _one_ instance of "gnome-pty-helper" running.

So there is something starting it.

> (restarting...)
>
> Success! No error message! That means... that means I have an additional
> phantom "gnome-pty-helper" proccess running in background that shouldn't
> be running at all and that's what is preventing the clean shutdown/
> restart, don't you think? :-)

Yes. Looks like it.

> Yeepe! Thanks! Now it's time to play the Ghostbusters, because I just
> left the system idle for a while (~10 minutes) and I can see a second
> "gnome-pty-helper" instance running...

You're by yourself with this. :)