Re: [Solved (kind of)] Re: Installing Wheezy on btrfs only (multi-device)

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Steven Post
<redalert.commander@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 03:11 +0200, Steven Post wrote:
>
> It's been a while since I replied to this thread, and since I solved it
> (well.. kind of...) I thought I'd mention how I got this working in the
> end and also what happens when a drive fails.
> I don't have a blog, so I'll give it all here, it'll be a pretty long
> read. Perhaps only interesting to some.

Many thanks for your follow-up. It's definitely of interest to me.

I was wondering about d-i's progress with btrfs so I tested Wheezy and
Precise. Wheezy's current dailies and weeklies are broken so I'll wait
for them to be fixed. For Precise, I chose just one partition (no
"/boot", no swap) and the installed (d-i not ubiquity, I didn't try
the latter) and the installed created two subvolumes "@" and "@home"
for "/" and "/home". About a year ago, both Debian and Ubuntu needed a
separate non-btrfs "/boot" and only one sub volume would be created on
a partition, so there's progress; d-i can now create more than one
subvolume on one partition but it's not yet user-controllable. Your
method's still required for multi-device btrfs volumes.

FYI, this is the grub.cfg linux line that's created:
linux /@/boot/vmlinuz-... root=UUID=... ro rootflags=subvol=@

You'd said in a previous email that you didn't think that grub
supported having "/boot" on a multi-device btrfs volume but in this
grub-devel thread [1], the first email says that raid support hasn't
been implemented and the last email says that it is.

1. http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/aVxzlidgDid2J9Mtd2eb