Re: Installing Wheezy on btrfs only (multi-device)

Hi,

On Sat, May 05, 2012 at 01:24:59AM +0200, Steven Post wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm testing out a new system, the idea is to combine 6 hard drives into
> a single btrfs volume (raid10) (using subvolumes for /, /home, etc). I
> understand that it is now possible to also have /boot on btrfs
> (previously impossible because of GRUB).

I tried to install sysyem with much simpler configuration:
 / :  a single btrfs on a partition          /dev/sda1
swap: a single swap on a separate partition  /dev/sda2

It did not work due to missing fsck.btrfs in btrfs-tools.

> Unfortunately the Debian installer (daily build for wheezy) is unable to
> create multi-device btrfs volumes.

Yah.. but you probably can do this via shell screen.

> I tried the a normal install and then copy it over to a multi-device
> btrfs system, afterwards adding the remaining disk:
> 1) using a single drive to install using ext4 for /boot and btrfs for /
> 2) after (successful) installation boot from a live cd (ubuntu 12.04 in
> this case, but it shouldn't really matter)

How successful?  Did it boot?

> 3) create partitions for btrfs on the other 5 drives using gdisk
> 4) create a multi-device btrfs filesystem with those partitions, with a
> subvolume for the root filesystem and for /home
> 5) copy all the data from the first disk to the new btrfs volume
> 6) chroot into the rootfs of the new volume, after mounting (-o
> bind) /dev, /proc and /sys into the mounted system
> 7) change fstab for the new drives and modify /etc/default/grub
> 8) run update-grub: this is where things start falling down, I get an
> error about / not being mounted so grub fails.
>
> This is apparently caused by a regression in GRUB [1] (Debian bug
> #538118).

Well this is possibly another problem you are facing.  Basically, you
should know what file to change imanually when copying files from one
partition to another.  So this is really an expert trick which d-i
currently does not support for ordinry uses.  But as I mention in the
above, most simple installation suffer major breakage for btrfs on
wheezy even if you manually adjust configuration files.

> Has anyone attempted such an install before? How should I proceed with
> this?

Good luck.