Re: [Solved (kind of)] Re: Installing Wheezy on btrfs only (multi-device)

On Sun, 2012-05-27 at 18:40 -0400, Tom H wrote:
[...]
> Many thanks for your follow-up. It's definitely of interest to me.

Glad someone found it useful.

> I was wondering about d-i's progress with btrfs so I tested Wheezy and
> Precise. Wheezy's current dailies and weeklies are broken so I'll wait
> for them to be fixed. For Precise, I chose just one partition (no
> "/boot", no swap) and the installed (d-i not ubiquity, I didn't try
> the latter) and the installed created two subvolumes "@" and "@home"
> for "/" and "/home". About a year ago, both Debian and Ubuntu needed a
> separate non-btrfs "/boot" and only one sub volume would be created on
> a partition, so there's progress; d-i can now create more than one
> subvolume on one partition but it's not yet user-controllable. Your
> method's still required for multi-device btrfs volumes.

This really sounds interesting, do you think support for multi-device
btrfs and user controlled subvolumes will be fully supported by d-i by
the time Wheezy is released? I think this would really benefit setups
like mine. I'm also thinking home server setups, or production setups
later on, once it isn't an experimental filesystem anymore.

[...]
> You'd said in a previous email that you didn't think that grub
> supported having "/boot" on a multi-device btrfs volume but in this
> grub-devel thread [1], the first email says that raid support hasn't
> been implemented and the last email says that it is.
>
> 1. http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/aVxzlidgDid2J9Mtd2eb

That is very good news, that means it is just the d-i that can't handle
it, a single device btrfs worked fine (at least in virtualbox), but d-i
refused to install grub with my raid 10 btrfs volume.
I don't follow d-i development really, I just took a daily image to
install the system.

The only real drawback on my system once installed is the inability to
use snapshots for /boot. Especially as Debian security updates for the
kernel overwrite the existing one (haven't had a problem with that
approach yet, but you never know).

Regards,
Steven