Re: Wheezy printing problem: 2 identical (?) machines and 1 does not print PDFs

On Fri 25 May 2012 at 14:39:01 +0200, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

> I have 2 identical Wheezy machines: they both have the same packages and
> the same versions for those packages Wheezy, up to date as of this
> morning). The configuration files in /etc/cups and /etc/foomatic are
> exactly identical. Both machines should print to a network printer

If there is problem with one machine not printing correctly I'd be
tempted to think the machines are not identical.

> (HP2200 DTN). I use Cups and Foomatic, and the recommended "HP LaserJet
> 2200 Foomatic/lj5gray" driver (the postscript driver has the same
> behaviour).

Coincidence! I have the same machine.

> Both machines print the Linux test page without problems. But one
> machine cannot print PDFs while the other one prints them without
> problem, be it a little slow (i.e. compared to the Windows machines that
> use the same printer). The problematic machine prints a PDF file as an
> almost empty pages with the following text:
> "PCL CL error
>     Subsystem: IMAGE
>     Error:     ExtraData
>     Operator:  ReadImage
>     Position:  7"
> I have re-installed/purged/rebooted etc. and nothing helped so far.

Edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and put 'LogLevel debug' at the end. Delete or
move /var/log/cups/error_log and restart cups. Print the same PDF from
each machine and compare the logs.