Re: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i hangs system at boot

On Sun, 20 May 2012 12:12:55 +0000, Ramon Hofer wrote:

> On Sat, 19 May 2012 13:41:33 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> Mmm, have you tried to set a RAID level instead using JBOD? It's just
>> for testing... although this can only be done in a very early stage
>> when the disks are completely empty with no data on them because I'm
>> afraid changing this will destroy whatever contains.
>
> I will play around this evening a bit. Luckily my last attempt with the
> Supermicro HBAs wipped the disks already so I have some disks to play
> with ;-)

Good :-)

Also, consider installing into the motherboard only the strictly required
devices to work (i.e., processor+heatsink, memory and a couple of hard
disks to test mdraid).

>> If you could upload an image with the screen you get, it would be great
>> :-)
>
> Here you go:
> http://666kb.com/i/c3yd21ff71u88d4x8.jpg

Thanks!

> But I could only get the last part when it stopped adding new lines. It
> just was too fast to get anything before :-(

Okay... I can't recall if you are already considered/tried disabling the
USB host controller from your BIOS.

Anyway, from the above messages it seems there are two USB hosts detected
("2-1" with 6 ports and "4-1" with 8 ports) and the latter is the one
exposing the over-current condition. Which OTOH is also weird because
according to the motherboard specifications¹, there has to be x2 USB 3
ports and x12 USB 2.0. There's something not matching here.

¹http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Core/P67/C7P67.cfm

Greetings,

--
Camaleón