Re: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i hangs system at boot

On Fri, 18 May 2012 21:55:36 +0000, Ramon Hofer wrote:

> On Fri, 18 May 2012 20:18:46 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> Are you running Squeeze?
>
> Yes, sorry forgot to mention.
>
> I installed squeeze amd64 yesterday on a raid1 (just to try). Today when
> the card was here I put it in and couldn't boot. Then I installed
> squeeze with the card present without problems but booting afterwards
> didn't work again.
> Without the card installed bpo amd64 kernel but couldn't boot again.

You have to be extremely precise while describing the situation because
there are missing pieces in the above stanza and the whole steps you
followed :-)

Okay, let's start over.

You installed the lsi card in one of the motherboard slots, configured
the BIOS to use a JBOD disk layout and then boot the installation CD for
Squeeze, right?

The installation proccess was smoothly (you selected a mdadm
configuration for the disks and then formatted them with no problems),
when the installer finished and the system first rebooted, you selected
the new installed system from GRUB2's menu and then, the booting proccess
halted displaying the mentioned messages in the screen, right?

>> And you installed the system with no glitches and then it hangs?
>
> Without the LSI card there are no problems (except the over-current
> message which is also present with only the mb and a disk). Installation
> works ok with and without card.

So you think the system stalls because of the raid card despite you get
the same output messages at boot and there's no additional evidence of a
problem related to the hard disks or the controller.

Mmm... weird it is, my young padawan :-) that's for sure but it can be
something coming from your Supermicro motherboard's BIOS and the raid
controller. Check if there's a BIOS update for your motherboard (but just
check, don't install!) and if so, ask Supermicro technical support about
the exact problems it corrects and tell them you are using a LSI raid
card and you're having problems to boot your system from it.

>> What's the point for listing the USB devices? :-?
>
> Because I thought I should mention the over-current message and it's
> related to usb.
> But I think it's a completely different thing. And I don't even know
> where port 7 is but port 8 is definitely empty :-?

Yes, I agree. It seems an unrelated problem that you can try to solve
once you correct the booting issue if the error still persists.

>> Something wrong with udevd when listing an usb?? device or hub.
>
> Ok, unfortunately I have no clue what this means. But this message isn't
> there without card but it's pci-e?

Ah, that's a very interesting discovery, man. To me it can mean the
motherboard is not correctly detecting the card, hence a BIOS issue.

>> Those messages are coming from the kernel side but I can't guess the
>> source that trigger them.
>
> How can I find out what they mean? It seems as if many different
> problems lead to such messages?

I would center first in solving the core of the problem.

>> Mmm... the strange here is that there is no clear indication about the
>> nature of the problem, that is, what's preventing your system from
>> booting. Can you at least get into the single-user mode?
>
> I can't get to any login. Or is there a way to get into single-user
> mode? If you mean recovery mode: no luck either :-(

Are you reaching the GRUB2 menu? If yes, you can select "recovery mode/
single-user mode".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón