Re: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i hangs system at boot

On Fri, 18 May 2012 20:18:46 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Fri, 18 May 2012 14:23:51 +0000, Ramon Hofer wrote:
>
>> I finally got my LSI 9240-4i and the Intel SAS expander.
>>
>> Unfortunately it prevents the system from booting. I only got this
>> message on the screen:
>>
>> megasas: INIT adapter done
>> hub 4-1:1.0 over-current condition on port 7 hub 4-1:1.0 over-current
>> condition on port 8
>
> How bad, but don't panic, these things happen ;-(
>
> Are you running Squeeze?

Yes, sorry forgot to mention.

I installed squeeze amd64 yesterday on a raid1 (just to try). Today when
the card was here I put it in and couldn't boot. Then I installed squeeze
with the card present without problems but booting afterwards didn't work
again.
Without the card installed bpo amd64 kernel but couldn't boot again.

>> I also got the over-current messages when the LSI card is removed.
>
> And you installed the system with no glitches and then it hangs?

Without the LSI card there are no problems (except the over-current
message which is also present with only the mb and a disk).
Installation works ok with and without card.

>> Here's the output of lsusb:
>
> (...)
>
> What's the point for listing the USB devices? :-?

Because I thought I should mention the over-current message and it's
related to usb.
But I think it's a completely different thing. And I don't even know
where port 7 is but port 8 is definitely empty :-?

>> Nevertheless I think the module for the card should be loaded but then
>> it somehow hangs.
>>
>> And after a while there are more messages which I don't understand. I
>> have taken a picture:
>> http://666kb.com/i/c3wf606sc1qkcvgoc.jpg
>
> Something wrong with udevd when listing an usb?? device or hub.

Ok, unfortunately I have no clue what this means. But this message isn't
there without card but it's pci-e?

>> Then there are lots of messages like this:
>>
>> INFO: task modprobe:123 blocked for more than 120 seconds. "echo 0..."
>> disables this message
>>
>> Instead of modprobe:123 also modprobe:124, 125, 126, 127, 135, 137 and
>> kworker/u:1:164, 165 are listed.
>
> Those messages are coming from the kernel side but I can't guess the
> source that trigger them.

How can I find out what they mean? It seems as if many different problems
lead to such messages?

>> I can enter the BIOS of the card just fine. It detect the disks and by
>> defaults sets jbod option for them. This is fine because I want to use
>> linux RAID.
>
> Mmm... the strange here is that there is no clear indication about the
> nature of the problem, that is, what's preventing your system from
> booting. Can you at least get into the single-user mode?

I can't get to any login. Or is there a way to get into single-user mode?
If you mean recovery mode: no luck either :-(

>> May this problem be the same:
>> http://www.spinics.net/lists/raid/msg30359.html Should I try a firmware
>> upgrade?
>
> (...)
>
> Wait, wait, wait... that looks a completely different scenario
> (different driver -mt2sas-, different raid card, encryption in place,
> different error...). And while updating the firmware is usually good,
> you better first ensure what's what you want to correct (we still don't
> know) and what firmware version solves the problem.

Ok. But I have no clue either how to find this out.
Maybe you could point into the right direction :-)

Best regards
Ramon