Re: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i hangs system at boot

On Sat, 19 May 2012 11:26:09 +0000, Ramon Hofer wrote:

> On Sat, 19 May 2012 09:09:52 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> You installed the lsi card in one of the motherboard slots, configured
>> the BIOS to use a JBOD disk layout and then boot the installation CD
>> for Squeeze, right?
>
> Yes, but I didn't set the LSI BIOS to use the cards as jbod it did it
> automatically.

I guess that's the default.

> In the cards BIOS I saw that virtual drives can be setup. But since I
> want to use them as jbod I don't think I have to set virtual drives. The
> Controller Property pages are very hard to understand. So I tried with
> the factory default.

It's important that you first read and get a global understanding about
the capabilities (and possibilities) of your card. A raid card is almost
a small computer by itself (it has the logic and the wires to act as
such), they're a very complex piece of hardware.

Moreover, the raid card has to stablish a perfect dialog with your
motherboard and the rest of the system components (OS, hard disks...),
and every single item in this chain (a BIOS problem, firmware glitch) can
fail or make the computer behave weirdly.

>> So you think the system stalls because of the raid card despite you get
>> the same output messages at boot and there's no additional evidence of
>> a problem related to the hard disks or the controller.
>
> I only get the two over current lines always. The timeout and udev
> errors don't appear when the card is removed.

Okay.

>> Mmm... weird it is, my young padawan :-) that's for sure but it can be
>> something coming from your Supermicro motherboard's BIOS and the raid
>> controller. Check if there's a BIOS update for your motherboard (but
>> just check, don't install!) and if so, ask Supermicro technical support
>> about the exact problems it corrects and tell them you are using a LSI
>> raid card and you're having problems to boot your system from it.
>
> Thanks Master Camaleón :-D
> The mb BIOS version is 2.10.1206. But I couldn't find the current
> version. They only write R 2.0.
> And the readmes in the firmware zip don't tell me more.
>
> I will email Supermicro to ask them.

Yes, do it ASAP. Look, Supermicro is somehow "special" in this regard.
They have top-quality motherboards which allows special configuration and
setups and thus they work very closely with the rest of the hardware
manufacturers (memory modules, HBA providers...). Should there's any
specific problem with your raid card and any of their boards they'll tell
the steps to follow.

>>> Ok, unfortunately I have no clue what this means. But this message
>>> isn't there without card but it's pci-e?
>>
>> Ah, that's a very interesting discovery, man. To me it can mean the
>> motherboard is not correctly detecting the card, hence a BIOS issue.
>
> Ah yes, maybe it thinks it's a usb device?

Yes, sort of. It could be that the motherboard is having problems to
address some resources provided by your raid card.

> I have tried to check if I can see something in the mb BIOS to see if
> it can tell me anything about the connected hardware. But I didn't find
> anything in the PCI settings.

Mmm, have you tried to set a RAID level instead using JBOD? It's just for
testing... although this can only be done in a very early stage when the
disks are completely empty with no data on them because I'm afraid
changing this will destroy whatever contains.

>> Are you reaching the GRUB2 menu? If yes, you can select "recovery mode/
>> single-user mode".
>
> Ah ok. Yes I have tried that with both kernels in recovery mode but
> without luck.
> There are alot more messages with the last two of them the over-current
> messages :-o

If you could upload an image with the screen you get, it would be
great :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón