Re: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i hangs system at boot

On Sat, 19 May 2012 09:09:52 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Fri, 18 May 2012 21:55:36 +0000, Ramon Hofer wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 18 May 2012 20:18:46 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>>> Are you running Squeeze?
>>
>> Yes, sorry forgot to mention.
>>
>> I installed squeeze amd64 yesterday on a raid1 (just to try). Today
>> when the card was here I put it in and couldn't boot. Then I installed
>> squeeze with the card present without problems but booting afterwards
>> didn't work again.
>> Without the card installed bpo amd64 kernel but couldn't boot again.
>
> You have to be extremely precise while describing the situation because
> there are missing pieces in the above stanza and the whole steps you
> followed :-)

Ok, sorry for that! I try to improve :-)

> Okay, let's start over.
>
> You installed the lsi card in one of the motherboard slots, configured
> the BIOS to use a JBOD disk layout and then boot the installation CD for
> Squeeze, right?

Yes, but I didn't set the LSI BIOS to use the cards as jbod it did it
automatically.

In the cards BIOS I saw that virtual drives can be setup. But since I
want to use them as jbod I don't think I have to set virtual drives.
The Controller Property pages are very hard to understand.
So I tried with the factory default.

> The installation proccess was smoothly (you selected a mdadm
> configuration for the disks and then formatted them with no problems),
> when the installer finished and the system first rebooted, you selected
> the new installed system from GRUB2's menu and then, the booting
> proccess halted displaying the mentioned messages in the screen, right?

Exactly.
I only saw the three messages (megasas: INIT adapter done and the over-
currents) for some time. Then the screen was filled with the timeout and
udev messages.

>>> And you installed the system with no glitches and then it hangs?
>>
>> Without the LSI card there are no problems (except the over-current
>> message which is also present with only the mb and a disk).
>> Installation works ok with and without card.
>
> So you think the system stalls because of the raid card despite you get
> the same output messages at boot and there's no additional evidence of a
> problem related to the hard disks or the controller.

I only get the two over current lines always.
The timeout and udev errors don't appear when the card is removed.

> Mmm... weird it is, my young padawan :-) that's for sure but it can be
> something coming from your Supermicro motherboard's BIOS and the raid
> controller. Check if there's a BIOS update for your motherboard (but
> just check, don't install!) and if so, ask Supermicro technical support
> about the exact problems it corrects and tell them you are using a LSI
> raid card and you're having problems to boot your system from it.

Thanks Master Camaleón :-D
The mb BIOS version is 2.10.1206. But I couldn't find the current
version. They only write R 2.0.
And the readmes in the firmware zip don't tell me more.

I will email Supermicro to ask them.

>>> What's the point for listing the USB devices? :-?
>>
>> Because I thought I should mention the over-current message and it's
>> related to usb.
>> But I think it's a completely different thing. And I don't even know
>> where port 7 is but port 8 is definitely empty :-?
>
> Yes, I agree. It seems an unrelated problem that you can try to solve
> once you correct the booting issue if the error still persists.

Will do that :-)

>>> Something wrong with udevd when listing an usb?? device or hub.
>>
>> Ok, unfortunately I have no clue what this means. But this message
>> isn't there without card but it's pci-e?
>
> Ah, that's a very interesting discovery, man. To me it can mean the
> motherboard is not correctly detecting the card, hence a BIOS issue.

Ah yes, maybe it thinks it's a usb device?
I have tried to check if I can see something in the mb BIOS to see if it
can tell me anything about the connected hardware. But I didn't find
anything in the PCI settings.

(...)

>>> Mmm... the strange here is that there is no clear indication about the
>>> nature of the problem, that is, what's preventing your system from
>>> booting. Can you at least get into the single-user mode?
>>
>> I can't get to any login. Or is there a way to get into single-user
>> mode? If you mean recovery mode: no luck either :-(
>
> Are you reaching the GRUB2 menu? If yes, you can select "recovery mode/
> single-user mode".

Ah ok. Yes I have tried that with both kernels in recovery mode but
without luck.
There are alot more messages with the last two of them the over-current
messages :-o

Best regards
Ramon