Re: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i hangs system at boot

On Fri, 18 May 2012 18:28:05 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> On 5/18/2012 4:55 PM, Ramon Hofer wrote:
>
>> I installed squeeze amd64 yesterday on a raid1 (just to try).
>
> You need to explain this in detail:  "installed on raid1"
>
> Installed onto what raid1?  Does this mean you created an mdadm raid1
> pair during the Squeeze installation process, and installed to that?  To
> what SAS/SATA controller are these two disks attached?  Please provide
> as much detail as possible about this controller chip and if it is on
> the motherboard.  If so, please provide the motherboard brand/model.

Sorry I try to give you some more details. But to be honest I'm just an
interested consumer ;-)
What I want to say is that probably I just don't know how to get the
information. Like I can't get to the syslog when the system doesn't boot.
But I hope with your help I can learn about ways on how to get to the
information :-)

I installed Squeeze AMD64 Netinstall to a raid1 with the disks directly
attached to the mainboard. During installation I partitioned the disks,
set the filesystem to raid and created md raids during the installation
then chose the md raids to be mounted as /boot, swap, /, /var, /usr, /tmp
and /home.
This was just done because of curiosity.

Now the same system partitions are directly on one of the disks. It is
still attached directly to the mainboard

The mainboard is a Supermicro C7P67 with a Marvel 88SE91xx adapter
onboard.

>> Then I installed squeeze
>> with the card present without problems but booting afterwards didn't
>> work again.
>
> Detail, detail detail!  To what did you install Squeeze?  Which disks,
> attached to which controller?  We *NEED* these details to assist you.

The system was installed to a disk directly attached to the mainboard. I
thought it might be a good idea anyway to use the SATA ports on the
mainboard for the os disk.

>> Without the card installed bpo amd64 kernel but couldn't boot again.
>
> If you installed to disks attached to the expander/9240 and then yanked
> the card, of course it wouldn't boot.  Again, this is why we need
> *details*.  ALWAYS supply the details!

No, sorry for all the misunderstanding.

Even if I only have the os disks (attached to the mainboard), the lsi
card and the expander (both mounted on pci-e x16 ports on the mainboard)
the system hangs on after the first three messages (megasas: INIT adapter
done and the two over-current messages).

And when I remove the LSI card only I see the over-current messages and
the system boot just fine.

As well when I remove the expander as well I see the over-current
messages and the system boots fine.

>> Without the LSI card there are no problems (except the over-current
>> message which is also present with only the mb and a disk).
>> Installation works ok with and without card.
>
> Ok, so the USB over-current error has nothing to do with the hang during
> boot.

Yes, this is what I think as well but didn't want to keep quiet about
that.

> Only full dmesg output will tell us this.

Yes. Unfortunately I don't know how to get the output when I can't login.

Oh ok, now I have removed the card again and found some interesting logs.

/var/log/syslog:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=00rN1X8s

/var/log/installer/syslog:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=sDmjbeey

/var/log/installer/hardware-summary:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=V8fX4F0W

>> Ok. But I have no clue either how to find this out. Maybe you could
>> point into the right direction :-)
>
> Again, do not flash the HBA firmware at this point.  Provide the details
> I requested and we'll move forward from there.  It may very well be that
> the RAID firmware is causing the boot problem and you need the straight
> JBOD firmware, but lets get all the other details first so we can
> determine that instead of making wild guesses.
>
> BTW, did you disable all "boot" related options in the 9240 BIOS and
> force it to JBOD mode?  Did you read the instructions in their entirety
> before mounting the HBA into the machine?  This isn't a $20 SATA card
> you simply slap in and go.  It's an SAS RAID controller.  More
> care/learning is required.

To be honest I have never worked with anything else than the usual
consumer products.
So the most of the terms I don't understand. But I will work harder I
read how to disable these options.
What I saw is that it sets the disks connected to the expander to jbod
mode.
And I disbled the cards BIOS completely but with no luck.

I hope this helps a bit but please be gentle with a hobbyist :-)

Best regards
Ramon