Re: gnome panel fonts on startup

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 05:31:14 -0400, songbird wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>>>   the xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.18.0-2   trying to switch
>>> to intel site downloaded version.  too old...  skip for now.
>>
>> The package seems up-to-date.
>
>   *nods*
>
>   today there are changes in the sid/testing
> repositories for gnome-panel and a few other things.  i'm grabbing those
> updates now and hoping this will fix it.  we'll see.  i'm going to fall
> asleep soon.

Now you say... have you tested with another (fresh-new created) user?
Just to discard something messed inside your current GNOME user profile.

>>>   no bug is worth being filed for a cosmetic
>>> item like this.
>>
>> You think?
>>
>> Not seeing the whole text of the menu items does not seem to be a
>> "cosmetic" problem. Visual impaired people can have lot of difficulties
>> to click on the right item...
>
>   i would not encourage anyone with that sort of
> trouble to use testing or sid unless they have someone else around to
> get them out of jams that can happen.

Sure, but for that same reason users use sid: they are the "brave
knights" who experience with the most annoying and weird bugs  to avoid
the mere mortals have to deal with the problems afterwards O:-)

>> You don't have to expect a solution in one day but just reporting what
>> you are getting. Let devels to categorize the priority of the problem,
>> if they consider it's irrelevenat or something wrong at your side,
>> they'll tell.
>
>   if it is graphics driver problem i expect
> no changes unless i find the specific place and can propose a patch.
> this is an old machine and the code isn't being worked on actively any
> longer.

Why not? If you find a problem with intel's VGA driver, being open source
it can be easily solved.

>>> if i get a patch or fix then i can at least then file something useful
>>> for others who might have similar problem to find.
>>
>> Before you delevop a patch you'll have first to find out where is the
>> problem (intel xorg driver, gnome-shell, mutter-clutter...) :-)
>
>   yes, the joy of learning.  i'm having a lot of
> fun lately.  puzzles for rainy days.  if these updates for gnome-panel
> don't work then i will take another look at the problem in a day or two.

Let the updates do their work :-)

>> You can also ask for feedback at debian gnome devel mailing list
>> (debian- gtk-gnome), most of the developers/packagers read/post there.
>
>   eventually i may, yet i doubt this is a problem
> with debian packaging.

It hasn't to be. You're only asking, not reporting an error but those
sort of problems are usually easy identified by people in the know who
have to work/deal with these issues almost every day :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón